Pages

Be careful what you wish for

Monday, May 19, 2014

Seven years ago, when I found out that I was pregnant with a boy, I felt a bit of panic. I grew up surrounded by girls, in a family where we had only a couple of boy cousins. I wondered, would I know what to do with a boy? How to play with him? How to relate to him and find common ground?

He is now six years old, and I have come a long way. Cars, trains, sports, hockey, I've learned about them all, alongside my son. True, I am still amazed at the level of energy, and I still have a hard time understanding how play-fighting is fun, but I can honestly say that I no longer have those worries about forming a bond. We are close, very close.


So you would think that I would have felt relief finding out that I was having a girl this time around, right? WRONG! Girls are complex and sensitive, and I started thinking of the importance of teaching them self-respect, and giving them confidence, showing them how to stand up for themselves. 


Of course these are all true for boys as well, but for whatever reason they never came to mind when I had Aidan.


And then I started worrying that I am already subjecting my children to a double-standard, when they are only this young. You can tell, I am sure that I have been driving myself mad!


In speaking to other moms though, I have come to realize that I am maybe over thinking the situation. The most important thing is to lead by example, pay attention, and also let their personality develop, as a lot depends on that as well.


So I have made the conscious decision to trust my motherly instincts and believe that I will know the right thing to do. The power of positive thinking, right? 


As if to reinforce this idea, a few weeks ago, I came across and advertisement for Dove, that to me, said it all. I decided to recreate it as a poster in Sienna's room.




It's quite a simple message, but I love it! If anyone else is interested in having it, click here for the JPEG version, and here for the PDF.



 

2 comments :

  1. Love it! I wanted the boy because I was really scared of what it would mean having a girl, and how her place in the world may be shaped by how I behave.. And yes it did not cross my mind that Baby MiH would have the same issues... Great poster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poster! I saw that online somewhere... pinterest maybe. Love her shelf in her room.

    ReplyDelete