Pages

Discovering Portuguese yarn

Sunday, December 11, 2016

For me, no trip is complete without a visit to a local yarn shop. Prior to our vacation in Portugal I did quite a bit of research to decide on which one I would duck into during our stay in Lisbon. There were a few to choose from, but as much as I would love to do a yarn crawl in many destinations, there is no way I could expect the family to join along with the same enthusiasm such an endeavor would elicit in me. 


I chose to go to “Retrosaria Rosa Pomar”  and let me tell you, I was not disappointed by my choice.
If, actually no, WHEN I go back to Lisbon I would love to try one of her classes and see if I can learn the Portuguese style of knitting, which she teaches at her shop.

It is a charming yarn shop, tucked away on the second floor of a building in the lively Baixa neighborhood. The space is airy, with yarn spilling from vintage suitcases and off rustic tables. The choices offered are also great. I am starting to become increasingly fascinated with trying locally sourced yarns. I like the idea of  supporting a movement that is bringing focus to sustaining and bringing back to life an industry like the one behind  sheep and wool. My decision to visit this shop was cemented by this post on the Tolt blog a while back where Rosa and her shop were introduced. 


I could not leave the shop without having invested in a few well-chosen skeins. This lovely fingering weight Mé-Mé 2 Ply yarn is currently on my needles and turning into a beautiful Guernsey triangle.

Then there’s a sweater’s worth of worsted weight Beiroa yarn, made from the wool of Bordaleira Serra da Estrela sheep (doesn’t that just roll off the tongue ?) which I have earmarked for Carrie Bostick Hogue’s Shore Cardigan.

And last but not least I convinced a friend visiting Portugal only a few weeks after me to stop by and bring back enough of this yarn to possibly make Hannah Fettig's Gable sweater.

I cannot wait to be able to show you the FO’s once done, and hopefully not a year from now!






9 comments :

  1. oh wow, what a beautiful shop!! I love souvenir yarn, it's like bringing the vacation home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is. I believe that my favourite knits are the ones that remind me of a pale, a vacation, whether I acquired the yarn there or at least knit the item while on vacation.

      Delete
  2. What a stunning place - so cozy and welcoming! I would be stuck there forever :) And local yarn stores are the best way to bring memories home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Alina, I lingered and lingered, but finally had to leave when my daughter started trying to play with the displayed items.... :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your visit and for this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosa, your comment made my day! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I really loved my visit to your shop, and I have already given very clear instructions to my mother-in-law who is visiting Lisbon this spring on yarn to bring back for me!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That places looks so cozy! I also love to include a yarn shop visit (or two) wherever I'm traveling to. And a class on Portuguese knitting while in Portugal sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfect reason to go back, don't your think?

      Delete